Monday, April 09, 2012

JM ARCHIVE: ELECTRONIC ESQUIRE (DECEMBER 1993)

DIGITAL JOURNALISM1140

I took the idea of doing a supplement on the digital revolution to Esquire, then being edited by Rosie Boycott. She put Michael Watts in charge of the project and I wrote the opening essay – which begins on the cover. I believe this was the first such supplement in a British magazine. (You may know better !)

DIGITAL JOURNALISM2141 DIGITAL JOURNALISM3142DIGITAL JOURNALISM4143 DIGITAL JOURNALISM5144

A year later, my Son Alex and I worked together to produce an early ‘Best of the Web’ piece for the December 1994 issue of the Electronic Esquire.  It took us hours and hours. No search engines in those days. Just logging onto a website took forever. An exhausting process.

EELECTRONIC ESQUIRE1158

No comments: